Tuesday 5 May 2009

What a weekend...

Rad Hart-George should be renamed Rad Fearnley-Wittingstall-Hart-George if you ask me. But then again, I'm not great at names. For instance I want to name my sons Cuba and Muddy. Just for banter.

Rad hosted a brilliant party for 12 up at his parents' house in Anglesey. It's miles from anywhere and all the better for it. We were blessed with weather that was so good, it is a near certainty that we are in for a horrific summer of snow and hail. We spent the Bank Holiday weekend living as if none of us had a care in the world. On several occasions it felt as if we were in a Jack Wills advert and when I recounted the weekend's tales to my Grandfather he thought it sounded like a grown up version of Swallows and Amazons. The truncated highlights include:

My first ever trip on a sailing boat...





The catching and subsequent smoking of two mackerel...













And the baking of fresh bread to spread our amazing smoked mackerel pate on.

Rosemary bread



Jack Wills

It was one of the most enjoyable weeekends for ages. Thank you Rad so much for everything. All the photos are from Rad's blog where you will also find the recipes all the delicious food we stuffed ourselves with.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Woweeee!Check out those mackerels! They look amazing and you smoked them yourselves! I bet it was a meal from heaven.

Anonymous said...

I've never eaten something that I've caught myself, I bet it tastes all the better for it.

Looks like a great weekend!

Browners said...

@Helen - Awesome mackerel. Couldn't be fresher. It was by far and away the best smoked mackerel pate I've had. And all so simple.

@Ginger - I am such a convert to the River Cottage way. If only I could live like this all the time.

Anonymous said...

Oh if only I could have a meal like that! Living in suburban Wisconsin doesn't provide many opportunities as such.

Just stumbled upon your blog and will definitely be back for more!

Cheers,

*Heather*

Browners said...

@squirrelbread - Delighted you have enjoyed your first visit to the Paunch. Plenty more on the way.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin