Tuesday 18 November 2008

Butternut Squash and Goat's Cheese Risotto with Harissa Sausages

Feeling a bit creative at the weekend after the macaron class, I decided to create something fun and seriously savoury to counteract the mega sugar hit from the macarons.

I made a very straight forward risotto with a shallot and lardon base and a "stock" improvised from anchovy essence, mushroom ketchup, soy sauce and boiling water. Whilst I was stirring the rice, the butternut squash was roasting in a coat of olive oil and salt and a couple of cloves of garlic with their jackets on.

In an adjacent tray my sausages were sizzling in a rose harissa glaze. Crisping up and emitting a spicy, Middle Eastern aroma.

I'm not going to go into the details of cooking sausages and a risotto! So you'll just have to take my word for it that the combination worked brilliantly. Especially with a watercress and radicchio side salad dressed with a touch of balsamic vinegar. I can seriously recommend smearing sausages in harissa paste. It works like a dream

Butternut squash risotto with harissa sausages

Butternut squash risotto

Just the sort of spicy, meaty, sauvory antidote I needed given my massive macaron induced blood sugar spike.

3 comments:

Cottage Smallholder said...

That looks and sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Risotto is always a meal in itself for me. I have enjoyed my stay on your blog so far...so many delicious recipes. I am glad that Hannah sent me over:D

Browners said...

Hey Bellini, thanks for popping over. I have to admit that I had the risotto on its own for dinner and then added the harissa sausages element for lunch the next day!

Have only just discovered your blog and am curious to try the safron and butternut squash risotto.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin